Monday, July 25, 2005

Light at the end of the tunnel.

It's been awhile since my last update, due in large part to the mind-numbing boredom of road repair. In case I've not yet mentioned it, road repair entails us getting up way, way too early (3 AM-ish) and driving down one of the MSRs (Main Supply Routes). Once we find blast holes/potholes in the ground, we use a jackhammer to even them out, then mix concrete by hand and pour it into the hole. We typically run through about 9,000 kg of cement each day. We get the next day off, and then go right out and do it again.

As you might imagine, it's not exactly the most exciting thing to do. Consequently, not many stories to share.

The reason for this update is to pass along a little word your way. First of all, we've been told that no more packages should be sent after August 1st. Motomail should still be fine, however. If you don't know what motomail is, don't worry about it.

Secondly, "When am I getting home?" I can't tell you exactly. What I -can- say is that I should be home sometime around labor day. Maybe a little sooner, maybe a little later. Right now, plans are in a very liquid state. Even if I had a real date to give, it would probably change by this time tomorrow.

That's really all I've got for this update, I'm afraid. I like to make my posts as interesting and fun as possible, but I realize if I go too long without posting something, people start to wonder if I'm still in one piece.

As soon as something remotely interesting happens, I'm putting it up here. Scout's honor.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great, Dave. I'm glad to hear you're on the way back to the land of pork and beer (mmmm....bacon flavored beer). Hopefully you'll be around the US for next summer. I plan to have a massive party (further details under wraps until I talk to Todd 'Faggotlips' A.)

El Miguel

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news!!!! It was so good to hear your voice the other night! Always a treat. Can't wait until you're home - we'll be having a big party in Monitor upon your return. Hopefully your buddies will be able to make it as well. Miss you MUCH!!!!!!!!! Take care . .Kim

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1630376

Finally. And you thought it would never be done.

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see you again. Give me a ring soon. Even if it is 0330. Miss you tons. XOXOXXX

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home