Thursday, February 24, 2005

Sky Rockets in Flight

Well, I'm in Al-Asad, Iraq now. My sense of wonder is in full tune right about now. Not only am I living in a barracks with showers (thank you, former Iraqi Army), but we have a bitchin' chow hall, px, computer center, etc. Essentially, I've fallen through some kind of black hole and ended up in bizzaro-land.
As far as my job goes, I'm on an OCD team (Obstacle Clearing & Demolition). In a nutshell, I go out and poke at suspicious holes in the ground with a stick, looking for mines. Sounds dangerous, but since the insurgents are using AT mines (That's Anti-Tank), it's fairly safe. Those kind of mines usually require over 400 pounds of pressure. Don't want to waste all that HE on a little foot soldier. So I poke a stick in the ground until I feel a clunk, then another Marine comes over with some c4 and we blow it up. Memories in the making.

Finding a way to update this thing has been difficult. We've been attacked with rockets twice this week. Each time we get attacked, all phones and computers are secured. Don't worry too much, The insurgents, in keeping with arab tradition, aren't hitting shit. We also have about twice as many troops as we need now, since we're in the middle of a rotation. that means all the lines are twice as long as they usually are. Once they leave in a few days, I should be able to update more regularly.

I wish I could say what my next mission is going to be, but we all know & love opsec around here. Once it's complete, I'll be sure & letcha know what it was.

Anyhow, gotta roll to chow and hit the PX so i can buy myself some coffee. More updates soon, with luck.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all sounds like a lot of fun. Hmmm. . . I remember an evening with the Mauser (sp?) in the back yard making a HUGE dent. Mowing will never be the same - however - there was never a thought about a land mine - just maybe an unlucky mole or gopher.

Don't put too much pressure on with that stick -

Thinking of you always - Kim

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David:
I'm glad you are having a blast (no pun intended) there. Be careful. You'll need all of your fingers when you get home.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marine!
Happy to see that you have internet access. Coffee at the PX!?! Sounds like my kind of TDY! Do they offer massages and pedicures too? I miss you more than I should. :-) Thinking of you non-stop (but you knew that). Packages and photos are on the way. XOXOXXX-Anne

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thing you've got such a girlish figure, Dave.

Not that I'd know, but I've seen those pictures of you on the internet. Yeah, you know the ones. With the dog. Yep. Those. All right.

-Todd A.

11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, how did you get over there so fast? We miss you at the Ram and I can't wait to have some wonderful arguments with you when you get back. Nieve is sleeping right next to me. Yeah he's a fat bastard now. A few days after I picked him up I took him in to get his nuts chopped off. Since the surgery all he wants to do is lay around and eat bon bons all day. I think you should have named him Frank because of his blue eyes, but it's too late now. Anyway, stay safe so we can all get together and hang. You and Brian can swap desert stories. I'll drink the vodka, you can have the scotch all to yourself. -Kella

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey dude! I hope that is a LONG stick! I'm also glad to see land mine technology has reached such an advanced stage. Is any mail getting through?

Take care of yourself. Kitty and the kittens!

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Pirate dude! I just emailed Mr.Randi a suggestion. He's always testing dowsers. Wouldn't land mine detection be perfect for someone wanting to "prove" dowsing works? Of course, the dowser would have to look for the land mines, not a soldier or Marine! Maybe have the Air Force do it! Anyway, I'll let you know if Mr.Randi gets any dowsers to offer to fly over to Iraq and test their powers. Kitty

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home